Help ensure that the Global Internet services
of the SIDS Network continue to grow!

Donate directly to the SIDS Network securely with a major credit card.

Other ways to help can be found here.

Diego's Story / La Historia De Diego

by Isabel Trujillo

Here is my story. It is in spanish and english.

Diego's Story

It is still hard to talk about him. I have to begin on October of 1994. My husband and me decided to try having a baby. It passed one year, and nothing happened. We went to the Gyn-Ob and she sent me some tests and ultrasound to check everything was right. We had the tests and we noticed I wasn't ovulating, so I began taking Clomifen. It passed the first month with a lot of pain on the middle of my cycle. There was no baby. Second month passed the same, and third month passed too. I had a little spotting on 24th day of my cycle, so I became really angry, and desperate, because I supposed drugs wasn't doing any effect. Then, my period date passed, and there was no period. By that time I was still angry, but the reason this time was that even taking fertility drugs my cycle wasn't on time. Accidentally, one week later of my supposed period date, I took a pregnancy test. It was a hard time with my husband, but when I had the test result and it was positive, our happiness was complete. We called the complete family, we told them how happy we were. Finally, we were going to be parents!!!!!! That day we made an URGENT appointment with my OB-GYN, because we were so excited, and we wanted her to tell us everything was OK, and it was the happiest day of my life. Effectively, everything was OK, and due to the fact that I had fertility drugs, I became having Progesterone pills to help my body supporting pregnancy. One week later when I was visiting my grandmother, I became feeling cramps, and having a little spotting. Immediately I called my doctor, and she put me on bed, for 15 days. It was a hard time, but I felt very happy, and I had a lot of illusion on my new baby, so time passed quickly. At 7 weeks I became feeling that pain again, but this time it was really hard. My doctor told me to meet us in the hospital, to do an ultrasound of my baby, because she wasn't completely sure everything was OK, once again due to the fertility drug. Fortunately, everything was OK, and now I remember that day as the second one of most happiness in my life, because I had the chance to see a perfectly healthy 7 weeks baby in my womb, and I heard his heart beat like heaven music. I was really afraid that day, and when everybody checked my baby was healthy, my happiness was complete. I had a wonderful pregnancy, I never had any kind of symptoms, except breast tenderness. The only hard thing was that cramp that didn't go away. I passed one month more in bed.

At the third month, I became feeling something strange inside of me. I asked my doctor and she told me it was my baby. Little by little this strange feeling changed into my baby movements. I had a really active baby!! He didn't let me sleep, or be resting on my side, and if I did something that he didn't like, he kicked me hardly, until I changed my position, or until I do what he wished. I enjoyed those days like no others in my life. I was complete now, was going to have a family, with my loved husband and my perfect and loved baby.

One day, at 23 weeks of pregnancy, I became feeling a different pain on my womb. I didn't know what was it, because it was different to the other ones. One night I started having contractions, at the beginning I didn't know that those pains were contractions, but when I called my doctor, she figured it. I became having drugs to inhibit contractions, and everything was OK again. I stayed at bed one week more, and I started feeling really great. By this time I was such hungry that I used to eat all day long, and part of the night.

At my 24 week, we made an appointment for an ultrasound, to know our baby's sex, and check everything was OK. It was an adventure for me and the doctor that made it. My baby wasn't in the mood for this stuff, so he started kicking in such form!! It was really hard to check him, but with a lot of patience from the doctor, and me smiling, we noticed it was a PERFECT 24.5 WEEKS BABY BOY. That was the third most happy day on my life. Sorpresivelly, he permitted the doctor to have an ultrasound picture of his beautiful face silhouette, and my happiness was complete with the first picture of my little Diego.

We left the office smiling like a pair of fools, and we showed the ultrasound video to our families. The same day we went to my GYN-OB office, and she found perfect the results, and my checking of 24.5 week of gestation was almost perfect. I had a lot of braxton hicks contractions, so as a precaution I had to be at bed 15 more days.

On October 2nd, I was watching TV, and I started feeling that strange pain again. At 2:30 in the afternoon, I felt my baby kicking. At that time I didn't know it was going to be last time I felt him. My husband arrived from work almost at midnight. I wasn't really calmed. There was something strange, because I haven't felt baby's movement since 2:30. It was really rare. My baby was extremely active. I slept at 2 in the morning. At 5:30 I waked up desperate. I didn't know why, but I was like hysterical. I stayed at bed one hour, I moved my womb, I even pushed it, I rested over it, and there were no movements. Now, I remember I felt my womb rare. I went to another room to read my pregnancy book, searching for something about baby's movements. I read that if you don't feel any movement during last 24 hours, you should call the doctor immediately. It hasn't passed 24 hrs. yet, but I felt something was wrong. At 8 o'clock I waked up my husband and I told him my feeling. He told me that he didn't think something was bad with the baby, he told me possibly he was sleeping. I asked him to call my doctor while I took a shower. Then I called my doctor again. I wasn't OK. After insisting her a lot, she told me to go to the hospital. She was going to be there, to give me calm. Then, at emergency room, nurses and doctors looked for my baby's heart beat. There was not. I had an ultrasound.

My baby boy was death at 25 weeks. They induced me on labor. It was a 36 hrs. labor, natural way, and my baby boy was still born at 7:15 PM October 4, 1996. I left the hospital next day. I didn't want to stay there anymore.

My family went home. They finally gone. My husband and me finally faced the death of our first son.

It has been hard time since that day. My sister in law, who lives around the corner had a baby boy that was going to be only 15 days bigger than mine. Christmas time. The date of his supposed birth. Hard days. Mother's day. Soon father's day. This is a nightmare in our lives. Every time I came into the room that was going to be the nursery, and every time I see the things we had for him, every time that I see my nephew, every time I see his ultrasound picture, every time I see a pregnant woman I feel the same pain that when he just died. Pain doesn't finish. It only changes. My baby boy died due to a betrayer and silent illness, TOXOPLASMOSIS. I will never know where I caught it. Only thing that I know is that my baby boy isn't here. I won't meet him. I will always love him, and miss him.

My little sweet Diego: Mommy and Daddy miss you so much. You are our little angel.

Isabel Trujillo. México, D.F.

La Historia De Diego

Aún es dificil hablar de él. Debo empezar en Octubre de 1994. Mi esposo y yo decidimos tratar de tener un bebé. Pasó un año y nada ocurrió. Fuimos al Ginecólogo, y ella me ordenó algunos estudios y un ultrasonido para verificar que todo estuviera bien. Al tener los resultados nos dimos cuenta que yo no estaba ovulando, así que empezé a tomar clomifeno. Pasó el primer més con mucho dolor a la mitad de mi ciclo. No hubo bebé. Pasó el segundo, igual, y el tercero. Tuve un pequeño sangrado en el día 24 de mi tercer ciclo, y me sentí muy enojada, y desesperada, porque pensé que la medicina no hacía ningún efecto. Pasó la fecha en que esperaba mi período y nada pasó. Entonces estaba enojada porque aún tomando drogas de fertilidad mi regla no llegaba a tiempo. Accidentalmente una semana después me hice una prueba de embarazo. Pasabamos momentos dificiles mi esposo y yo, pero cuando el resultado de la prueba fué positivo, nuestra felicidad fué completa. Llamamos a la familia completa, queríamos que todos supieran lo felices que éramos, pues finalmente ibamos a ser padres!!! Ese mismo día hicimos una cita URGENTE con mi ginecóloga, pues estabamos muy emocionados y queríamos que nos dijera si todo estaba bien. Ese fué el día más feliz de mi vida. Efectivamente todo iba bien, y debido a que estuve tomando drogas de fertilidad, comencé a tomar pastillas de progesterona, para ayudar a mi cuerpo a manejar el embarazo. Una semana después, mientras visitaba a mi abuela, comencé a sentir cólicos, y a tener un poco de sangrado. Inmediatamente llamé a mi doctora, quien me recetó reposo absoluto por 15 días. Fué tiempo dificil, pero me sentía tan felíz y con tanta ilusión con my nuevo bebé que el tiempo pasó rápidamente. A las siete semanas comencé a sentir ese dolor otra vez, pero esta vez era realmente fuerte. Llamé a mi médico, quien me citó en el hospital para hacer un ultrasonido del niño, pues debido nuevamente a las drogas de fertilidad, ella temía por su bienestar. Afortunadamente todo estaba bien, y hoy recuerdo ese día como el segundo más feliz de mi vida, porque tuve la oportunidad de ver un perfecto bebé de 7 semanas moviéndose en mi vientre, y escuché los latidos de su pequeño corazón como música divina. Yo estaba realmente asustada ese día, pero cuando todo confirmó el bienestar de mi hijo, mi felicidad fué completa.

Tuve un embarazo maravilloso, nunca tuve ningún tipo de malestar, sólo un poco de molestia en el busto. Lo único dificil era ese cólico que no cesaba. Pasé un mes más en cama. Al tercer més, comencé a sentir algo extraño dentro de mi. Pregunté a mi doctora, y ella me dijo que era mi bebé. Poco a poco esta extraña sensación fué cambiando y finalmente sus movimientos fueron claros. Realmente tenía un bebé activo!!! No me permitía dormir, o descansar sobre mi costado, y si yo hacía algún movimiento que no le gustaba, me pateaba tan fuerte que yo debía cambiar mi posición, o hacer lo que el quería. Disfruté ese tiempo como ningún otro en mi vida. Ahora estaba completa, íba a tener una familia, con mi amado esposo y mi perfecto y amado hijo. Un día, a las 23 semanas de embarazo, comencé a sentir un dolor diferente en mi vientre. Yo no sabía que era, porque era distinto a los anteriores. Una noche comencé a tener contracciones. Yo no sabía que ese dolor eran contracciones, pero cuando llamé a mi médico, ella lo supuso. Comencé a tomar medicamento para inhibir las contracciones, y todo estuvo bien de nuevo. Debería permanecer en cama una semana más, solo como precaución, y comencé a sentirme realmente bien. Por ese tiempo yo estaba tan hambrienta que solía comer todo el día, y parte de la noche.

En mi semana 24, hicimos una cita para un ultrasonido, para conocer el sexo de nuestro bebé, y para confirmar que todo estuviera bien. Fué una aventura para mi y la doctora que lo realizó. Mi bebé no estaba de humor para esas cosas, así que comenzó a patear de tal forma que era realmente dificil checarlo. Con mucha paciencia de parte de la doctora, y conmigo sonriendo, encontramos que era un PERFECTO BEBE VARON DE 24.5 SEMANAS. Este fué el tercer día más feliz de mi vida. Sorpresivamente él permitió al médico tomar una fotografía (con el ultrasonido), de su bello perfil, y mi felicidad fué completa con la primera foto de mi pequeño Diego. Dejamos el consultorio del ultrasonido sonriendo como un par de tontos, y mostramos el video del ultrasonido a toda la familia. El mismo día fuimos a la consulta con la ginecóloga y encontró los resultados del ultrasonido perfectos, y mi revisión de las 24.5 semanas fué casi perfecta. Tenía muchas contracciones de Braxton Hicks, y solo como precaución debería permanecer en cama 15 días más.

El 2 de octubre, mientras veía la TV, comencé a sentir ese extraño dolor otra vez. A las 2:30 de la tarde, sentí patear a mi bebé. En ese momento no sabía que esa era la última vez que iba a sentirlo. Mi esposo llegó de trabajar casi a media noche. Yo estaba un poco intranquila. Había algo raro, pues yo no sentía el movimiento del niño desde las 2:30. Era muy extraño, pues mi hijo era demasiado activo. Finalmente me quedé dormida a las 2 de la mañana. A las 5:30 desperté desesperada. No sabía porqué, pero estaba histérica. Me quedé en cama una hora, movía mi vientre, hasta lo empujé, me recosté sobre él, y no había movimientos. Me levanté y fuí a otra habitación, a leer mi libro de embarazo, buscando algo acerca del movimiento del bebé. Leí que si no sientes los movimientos durante 24 horas debes llamar inmediatamente al médico. Aún no habían pasado 24 horas, pero yo sentía que algo andaba mal. A las 8 de la mañana desperté a mi esposo, y le conté lo que sentía. El me dijo que no pensaba que algo estuviera mal con el niño, que quizás estaba dormido. Le pedí que llamara al médico mientras yo tomaba un baño. Después yo la llamé otra vez. Yo no estaba bien. Después de insistirle mucho, me dijo que fuera al hospital. Ella estaría ahí para tranquilizarme. Entonces, en la sala de Emergencias, enfermeras y doctores buscaron los latidos del corazón de mi hijo. No los encontraron. Tuve un ultrasonido. Mi pequeño bebé murió a las 25 semanas. Me indujeron el parto. Tuve 36 horas de trabajo de parto, vía natural, y mi bebé nació muerto a las 7:15 de la noche del 4 de Octubre de 1996. Dejé el hospital al día siguiente. No quería permanecer allí. Mi familia fué a casa. Finalmente todos se fueron. Mi esposo y yo finalmente afrontamos la muerte de nuestro primer hijo.

Han sido días dificiles desde entonces. Mi cuñada tuvo un hijo que sería mayor que el mío 15 días. Llegó la navidad. La supuesta fecha de su nacimiento. Días dificiles. Día de las Madres. Pronto vendrá el Día del Padre...

Es una pesadilla en nuestra vida. Cada vez que entro a la habitación que sería para él, cada vez que veo las cosas que eran suyas, cada vez que veo a mi sobrino, cada vez que veo su fotografía del ultrasonido, cada vez que veo una mujer embarazada siento el mismo dolor que sentí cuando murió. El dolor no termina. El dolor solo cambia. Mi pequeño hijo murió debido a una enfermedad traicionera y silenciosa: TOXOPLASMOSIS. Nunca sabré dónde la contraje. Lo único que sé es que mi bebé no estará aquí. Nunca lo conoceré. Pero siempre lo amaré.

Mi pequeño Diego: Papá y yo te extrañamos demasiado. Eres nuestro ángel.

Help ensure that the Global Internet services
of the SIDS Network continue to grow!

Donate directly to the SIDS Network securely with a major credit card.

Other ways to help can be found here.

new.gif (112 bytes) Now you can translate SIDS Network Web Site pages to/from English, Spanish, French, German, Italian & Portuguese

©1995-2017, SIDS Network, Inc. <>
All rights reserved. Permission to use, copy, and distribute this document, in whole or in part, for non-commercial use and without fee,
is hereby granted, provided that this copyright, permission notice, and appropriate credit to the SIDS Network, Inc. be included in all copies.

The opinions and information provided here are not necessarily those of the author and are presented for educational purposes only.
The author accepts no responsibility for content, accuracy or use.

Privacy Policy

Please report any web site problems to sidsnet1-at-sids-network-dot-org
Web Design and maintenance by
CAM Consulting