SIDS Families: Years Later Questionnaire
Hi Deb and Chuck,
Thank you for offering to help me distribute the questionnaire, which will be the basis of the research for my new book, tentatively titled, "SIDS Families: Years Later." I have already heard from over 100 families, and your help will allow many more parents to participate.
My son, Tyler, died from SIDS on May 25, 1982. He was our second child, an apparently healthy 7 month old baby who went to sleep for an afternoon nap and never woke up. It has been 16 years since his death, but I have learned from my own experience that grief 'recovery' takes much longer than most people realize, and that even years later, we find our lives have been changed in many ways.
This is the premise of my new book. My previous books have dealt with new grief, subsequent pregnancies, and the ongoing journey. With this new book, I'd like us to take a look at the long term effects of the loss of a baby on the family.
The questionnaire is designed for those who have lost children 5 or more years ago. It is meant as a guide only; I would encourage anyone to write as much as they would like and to include an address and/or phone number if they would be willing to be contacted for a more in-depth interview.
SIDS Families: Years Later
1. When did your baby die?
2. How has your child's death affected your marriage and other close relationships?
3. If you have other children, how old were they when the baby died?
4. How do you think the baby's death affected them?
5. If you have subsequent children, how has the death affected them?
6. How has SIDS impacted your parenting?
7. Did the loss of your child influence your educational or career goals or choices?
8. How do you handle birthdays, anniversary dates and holidays?
9. Are you currently involved with a SIDS or bereavement support group? In what capacity? Was a support group available to you at the time your baby died?
10. Who do you talk to about your child?
11. Has the death of your child affected your personal philosophy and/or faith?
12. What has been the impact of ongoing SIDS research in your life?
13. Do you have a special way of remembering your child?
14. What have been your own personal milestones?
15. Anything else you'd like to add?
Please feel free to copy this questionnaire and share with any other SIDS families.
Please send completed questionnaire to: Debbie Gemmill, Beachcomber Press, PO Box 300578, Escondido, CA 92030-0578, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Now you can translate SIDS Network Web Site pages to/from English, Spanish, French, German, Italian & Portuguese
©1995-2015, SIDS Network, Inc. <http://sids-network.org>